4 Skills You Need to Brush Up On as a Digital Marketer in 2022
Digital marketers are in for both a treat and a challenge this year. A lot of people are doing their shopping online and therefore, business is usually booming for a lot of eCommerce companies. According to Statista, the numbers just keep on going up every year. In 2020, the total online retail sales in billion US dollars is 4,248. In 2021, this went up to $4,938 billion. This year, it is projected to come up to about $5,542 billion.
As the industry keeps on flourishing, now is the perfect time for digital marketers to hone their skills. There are an estimated 12 to 24 million eCommerce websites in 2022, and the competition is definitely fierce. Not only that, but more and more certified digital marketers are entering the field, which means that you have to step up your game if you want to be a leader.
Skills Digital Marketers Need to Hone in 2022
It’s always a good idea to keep on brushing up on your skills so you could update your digital marketing resume. With that being said, let’s dive into what skills you should work on improving in 2022 and beyond.
A marketing professional must be able to think fast and outside the box, especially during a crisis. The whole team is depending on you to get them out of muddy waters when problems arise, and if you’re not ready to face these types of challenges, the team and company will suffer. Moreover, other digital marketers are starting to get creative with their strategies, and you must make it your goal to outrun and get past them to succeed.
Here are some steps that you must follow whenever you encounter drawbacks in the workplace:
- Analyze what the problem is, where it came from, and get as many details as you can.
- Gather the team and ask for suggestions regarding solutions. Brainstorming is a great way to collect everyone’s ideas.
- Evaluate the possible solutions that you think would help the situation. Pick a few proposals and determine how it could help you solve the dilemma.
- Choose the best solution out of the ones that you have picked and apply it to the problem.
- Keep on monitoring the outcome and see if there is progress.
Project Management Skills
You must make it a point to always be organized as Google-certified digital marketers are. You will often find yourself handling multiple projects at once, and this can get confusing easily. Using the right tools will help you make this task easier. Try checking these out to see which ones will work best for you:
- MailChimp – this tool is best for creating and sending email newsletters, invitations, and forms. It can also be used for automating your email marketing campaigns, which will eliminate the hassle of doing repetitive tasks.
- DeskTime – if you or your teammates are struggling with productivity and time management, then you should check this app out. It helps with time tracking, meaning you don’t have to waste time doing unnecessary things on your marketing campaigns. The tool automatically gathers which URLs the employees spend most of their time on and creates a report based on that.
- WP-CRM – customer relationship management systems are meant to make project management a breeze. WP-CRM is a WordPress CRM plugin that is designed to help freelance digital marketers and small businesses manage their clients and contacts, create seamless reports, send automated invoices, and more.
- Asana – this application allows teams to collaborate on projects and marketing campaigns. Managers can track their staff’s progress through the app. Additionally, tasks can be assigned to the right employees and members can communicate through it through tagging and commenting. Crucial project details such as deadlines and guidelines can also be added through this tool.
- SaaS BPM – this one is a business management solution that is perfect for entrepreneurs, managers, and digital marketing specialists. It helps improve the workflow by organizing and keeping the data safe for you through a cloud-based system. It helps eliminate the chances of delays, plus, it increases the transparency within the organization.
Creating a Sustainable Content Strategy
Content is king, and it has become more powerful than ever, especially for eCommerce businesses. However, creating appealing copies comes with a challenge, as the readers and customers are now more aware than ever. They tend to recognize when a company is trying to sell its products and services too hard, and this can be an immediate turn-off.
Creating a sustainable content strategy can help organizations increase their brand awareness, as well as improve lead generation and conversion rates. Here are some steps that you can follow to make your tactics a lot more viable:
- Create a content schedule that you can follow. Post consistently so your readers know when to expect articles, podcasts, and videos from your brand.
- Set your goals and make sure that they are measurable, realistic, achievable, and detailed.
- Always stay on top of the trends and be aware of what is going on in your industry. This will help make your content a lot more relatable to the viewers.
- Take advantage of user-generated content. You can try asking for customer reviews, testimonials and even success stories from your customers. This can be made into videos and even short articles that you can feature on your website.
- Update your content every now and then. Check your outdated articles and refresh the statistics. You can also add new information – even just a few paragraphs or sentences, as this can help improve your rankings on SERPs.
Social Media Marketing
According to Smart Insights, about 58.4% of the world’s population actively uses social media. The digital game is now stronger than ever, and it’s time digital marketing specialists brush up on their outdated social media strategies. Most social media platforms have features and tools that you can use to your advantage, and you must be familiar with the most used and popular ones to elevate your skills.
To give you a glimpse of how you can utilize some of these social media channels’ attributes, read the examples that we have provided below:
- Make use of social audio platforms hosted by Twitter Spaces and Spotify. Create your own podcast to reach a bigger audience.
- Create short clips on TikTok, Instagram Reels, and Facebook Stories.
- Join discussion forums on Reddit and Quora.
- Host live streams on Twitch, Facebook Live, and YouTube.
Skills Digital Marketers Need In 2022: Conclusion
Working on your skills will not only help you grow professionally, but it can also aid with the success of your business – whether it’s your own or you’re working for another company. It is crucial to stay on top of your game, as there are other digital marketing specialists that are trying to outrun you.
Keep yourself inspired by attending training and listening to thought leaders in your industry. Put the skills that we have mentioned above to practice and you are on your way to becoming one of the most sought-after digital marketers in the field.